Monday, August 17, 2009

Grad School the armpit of hell or career salvation?

Last night I was talking to a friend, we were reminiscing about graduate school. Though I don’t know if reminiscing is the correct word. I guess we were more or less discussing the aftershock(s), depending on who you are, of finishing grad school. You know that moment you have glorified in your mind for years...the DEFENCE – the ultimate end of all endings. Yes I am talking about the day you have been working toward for years. It’s amazing that your project, thesis and essentially life for, in my case 3 years, can be summed up in a 20 minute presentation. And then...nothing. You feel as if there should be a large party like the moment you are told you passed confetti, streamers Ed McMan, and all your friends should suddenly fill the room congratulating you. Again nothing. It is really a big disappointment. After my defence I actually did corrections of coarse after I went home called and emailed everyone I know to say I had passed. I did a go for drinks and am happy to report I only slightly remember stumbling up my front walk. I do however, remember the hangover the next morning, mine and others. Ahh the memories and that’s just it memories.


Now that I have been finished grad school I realize that it is no different than any other certificate, program or degree. You feel as you did before, not completely prepared for the real world outside of academia. Because let’s face it not everyone wants to stay in academia for various reasons from its still very much an “old boy’s network” to you feel that the “real” world offers unlimited opportunities. However, there is a bit of a reality check once your done. You no longer have the support of your friends, lab mates and other students. You have moved out of the “not finished circle” to the mythical “Defended circle”. Once you start applying for jobs you quickly realize that you fall into new categories with your graduate degree a) not experienced enough i.e. under qualified b) over qualified and others c thru ... Yes it’s sad to say but many of you will actually fall into these categories. How is that possible? Well there will always be people that will out compete you and you may have a graduate degree but not the experience that employers are looking for. It can be very frustrating, disappointing and an unexpected reality check no one, not even former students, talk about. You don’t want to become that person that other students talk about...he/she did ? for their degree and now they are a bank teller....how sad.


You know why people become bank tellers? It is because the biggest aftershock(s) of finishing are that no one except you and your parents gives a shite about your degree and your new brain power. You are just another statistic, a potential employee. Many employers want the degree but not the independent thought that accompanies it. So for those of you on the unfinished fence reserve your judgment for when you are finished, when you join the rest of us trying to find fulfillment in jobs and careers that make grad school seem like the ultimate career, when you are filling out an application at CIBC.


Despite the many challenges I and other students face/faced at grad school I really enjoyed it. Ok not the part where I stressed so much about money, my supervisor and finishing that I started to grind my teeth and thought I would go mental, but the part where I learned a lot about myself, others, science and made amazing friends. Let’s face it, your thesis is 100% yours. It may be the only time in your career or life when you are an expert even if it is short lived to your 20 minute defence presentation. It is your shining moment. Embrace it. I wished I had instead of sweating buckets and freaking out thinking I was going to fail, because the real world and it’s “opportunities”, careers and jobs can be far less rewarding. I never thought I wouldn’t use my master’s degree or my brain outside of school. I thought I would be even more prepared for the work force, that I would enjoy fulfilling and exciting work and discussions with colleagues. The sad truth is that many of us do not have exciting or thought provoking discussions with colleagues or even thought provoking employment. I actually sometimes miss grad school, If you know me you may be shocked by that revelation. Sometimes I just want to geek out with someone, to discuss carbon and nitrogen values and the results of my ANOVA.


The truth is that grad school and school in general offers us friendship, character building (LOTS) and the opportunity for us to explore ideas, and pursue our quest for who we are and what we want to be when we grow up (I am still working on that one), opportunities not widely found or embraced in the “real world”.


Fear Not - It’s not all bleak out there I have friends who have found good jobs that they enjoy, ones where they get paid to use their degrees and brains and I am fortunate in having made good friends who indulge my need to geek out every once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Well said UB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can geek out anytime with me. I may not know what you are talking about, but I'll pretend :).

    ReplyDelete