Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When did Carols become so uh interesting?


Greetings.  I have been parousing internet radio lately and loving the choices.  Especially the Christmas Carol stations... with a few exceptions.  What happened to the Bing Crosby carols of my youth?  I mean when did it become acceptable to hear we three kings as a rap song or do you hear what I hear as hip hop.  Not that I don't enjoy various forms of music.  I do. But I am rather a traditionalist when it comes to carols.

I like my Bing, come on who doesn't and really the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  Those folds can really belt out those carols despite their belief in Joseph Smith. When I was a kid I loved this time of year when we would pull out the old vinyl records.  I loved looking at the covers.  I have to admit though I was terrified of the Dickens Christmas Carol record it was kind of creepy and until I was older scared me.  I wouldn't listen to it alone.  But hey now maybe I can listen to some new fandango-ed Dickens version.


I guess as the years go by there is room for new traditions and classics like for instance Stuart McLean and his Vinyl Cafe Christmas stories.  If you don't know who I am or what I am talking about check out his website and podcasts.  Seriously Stuart's stories are hilarious and the characters are totally relate-able.  That being said about new Christmas things and traditions...

I am not yet ready to hear my favorite carols sung by El Divo or rapped sorry folks - I don't care how old Bing Crosby's versions get that's what I want to hear at Christmas. GO BING!


Food for Thought
"Bah!" said Scrooge. "Humbug!" ~ Charles Dickens

1 comment:

  1. my favorite is Boney-M's "Mary's boy child"!

    ReplyDelete